21 March 2010

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

I'm sitting here sweating and a little stinky because I just arrived back home from a brisk 30-minute walk. I was firmly committed to a Sunday of indolence and sloth on the couch with a book, but after writing a Facebook post about how much time/energy/effort it has taken for me to lose 15 pounds...
  • eating well
  • 97.96 miles on the treadmill
  • 1,730 minutes of cardio exercise
  • 490 minutes of weight lifting
  • 11,310 calories burned
it occurred to me that a little exercise today would probably be a good thing.

That's a major change for me because usually when I've hunkered down for the day with a book I am so very loathe to get up again. And granted - I didn't actually make it outside until 5:40 p.m., but I did do it. Who woulda thunk it?

Lots of changes in the past year.

A colleague of mine, K, walking by my desk the other day comments with a laugh on my little iPod dock/speaker set, "Wow. In the time I've known you you've really changed your attitude to technology: iPod, cell phone, laptop."

"I know!" I exclaim to him. "And Facebook and a blog. I'm ALL about the technology now. When my husband told me a while back that he was going to set us up with WiFi in our house I was like, 'What for??? We don't need that! We don't need to pay for that!' But he did it anyway and WHO is the one in the house that takes her laptop to the living room, the kitchen, the bedroom, out on the deck???....Oh yeah. That would be ME. I'm the one who uses the WiFi all of the time now and I don't know what I would do without it!"

K laughs with me.

I always thought that I was such an almost-Luddite, but I really have embraced technology in a way that I never thought that I would.

And exercise.

And parenthood.

Who woulda thunk it a year ago that I'd be 15 pounds lighter, addicted to Facebook and WiFi and on my way to being a mom???

Certainly not me.

And even though sometimes I lament life here on the blog or get into something of a funk or have a day when I don't make the most responsible eating choices...thankfully these things are all few and far between and I'm actually pretty happy.

Days like today where a 30 minute brisk walk outside on a beautiful day lifts my spirits...

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment