07 October 2009

Don't know nothin'...

It hit me yesterday for the first time that there will be a baby in our house fairly soon.

A baby.

In our home.

Part of our family.

And I'm going to have to take care of this completely helpless creature.

A being who will be totally dependent on me.

Oh dear.

I'm suddenly very nervous.

I've been so focused on the process of adoption that I haven't really taken much time to think about actually caring for this baby: the actual day to day...feedings, diapers, swaddling (how DO you swaddle a baby???), burping, rocking, getting the baby to nap, keeping to a schedule...

Suddenly I'm feeling like Prissy in Gone with the Wind, except instead of yelping loudly "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies!" I'm crying out, "I don't know nothin' 'bout carin' for a baby!"

I have What to Expect in the First Year sitting right on my bookshelf, but have yet to actually crack it open.

Guess I better get cracking and hit the books....hard. I have a lot to learn.

1 comment:

  1. You will be a great mom! Don't worry! They say you will know what do, your instincts will kick in as soon as the helpless creature looks up at you with those little eyes! When are you thinking the baby will come?
    -Suzy

    ReplyDelete